Saturday, August 11, 2007

Raging Startitis

For the first time in my short knitting career, I have FIVE projects going at once. I would love to say it's because I'm a talented knitter with the awesome ability to multitask, but unfortunately it's because I can't concentrate on one thing long enough at the moment.

Among the new projects currently on the needles:

The Buttony Sweater.



I've loved this sweater for ages, bought the perfect yarn, cast on and started. A couple inches into the thing I'm looking at it, thinking, this doesn't look right. I only put three stitch markers indicating the raglan increases. Yup, I'm an idiot. Obviously I need something seriously mindless to work on right now. Actually, now that I am writing this down, I realize that Gina did almost the same thing at Grandview last year with Ian's sweater. I remember we all took turns ripping it out because she was almost about to separate the sleeves and couldn't bear to do it herself without crying. I love knitters.

Socks for the boy:



Okay, I did finish one pair in Knitpicks Felici. I loved working with this yarn. It is really so super soft. I did not love the pilling. Awful, yucky pilling. He wore them right off the needles, to bed that night, and with his sandals the entire following day (okay, we'll work on his fashion sense). They are truly soft comfy socks. I wouldn't use these to make a pair for myself, but for kids, the yarn is okay. Plus, it only took one ball to make a short legged pair for him, so, bonus.

I started a second pair in Regia. Much less soft, but really substantial sock yarn. He picked out his own color for this one. It's not what I would have picked, but nice.



A new wallaby, in cotton. More specifically, Fantasy Naturale in a grey, olive green and beige colorway.

I bought this yarn specifically to make a wallaby for him because I loved the color combo. I did not, however, pay attention to stitch gauge, and ended up casting on for the size 8, on size 8 needles. When I got six inches into the sweater where you start the pocket, I thought that I'd try it on him for size. Why don't I swatch? Not only was it waaaaaaaaay to big for him, it actually fit me! And I'm not the size of an eight-year-old. Rip out sweater, check. Cast on fewer stitches, check. On smaller needles, check. Did I swatch this time? Not really. Someday I'll learn.

In addition to the above, I cast on for a new felted bag to cater to my instant gratification needs, and a pair of baby booties. Neither is finished. I can't even finish a baby bootee. What the hell? I haven't touched the Children of the Lir stole either, but I'll get back to it soon.

6 Comments:

Blogger yarnslinger said...

Hugs Jackie. The knitting mojo comes and goes...hang in there, many hugs, and see you tomorrow!!

11:01 PM  
Blogger Sonya said...

We all need a little variety at times. You will end up with lots of FOs here soon.

11:56 PM  
Blogger Gigi said...

LOL I have just the opposite problem at the moment. Cannot seem to find a project I want to work on so I'm not really working on anything! (Probably because I'm avoiding a certain WIP...) I agree with Sonya. You are going to have one heck of a FO pile soon!

8:30 AM  
Blogger Lora said...

WOW Lots of projects!! The socks are cute!! You're boy is super sweet to wear them sleeping and the next day too!! It's great to know he appreciates your work!! :)

8:52 AM  
Blogger Lapdog Creations said...

I think we're telepathically casting on together or something... I've had severe startitis lately... I posted on my blog and failed to mention quite a few OTHER things OTN (tank top - which btw, had the same issue as with your sweater and had to rip and recast on, shaped scarf, hat, etc)... ay, yi, yi........

10:26 AM  
Blogger Gina House said...

Oh, J, great socks! That lucky boy of yours!!

And the Buttony sweater will look great on you...have you decided on buttons yet? Isn't it easy to forget to increase for BOTH arms? I really didn't realize I had done that until...well, you know.

The Wallaby sweater for the big little guy is coming out so cute, too. For cotton, it's a wonderful colorway!

Would you like some "Finishing" Ointment for your raging Startitis?

4:29 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home