Monday, October 09, 2006

Toe up troubles

Okay, my plan for Socktoberfest was to knit socks from the toe up, because I've been afraid to try and wanted to do something out of my comfort zone. My first attempt was just plain ugly, using the short row wrap and turn method. It took a few attempts until I actually "got it", then I still didn't like the way it looked. My second sock I cast on using the magic cast on, and it worked! And I like they way it looks. Of course I had to put them both on the same needle so now I'm working them both. I may end up frogging the wrap and turn sock and re-knitting it using the magic method. Since they're just for me I might just leave it as is and see how they wear.
A close up of the toes:
Magic:

Wrap and Turn:


The pattern is Anastasia. I love the spiraling eyelets.

The pictures really do not do justice to this yarn. It's Cherry Tree Hill potluck in brights. The colors remind me of New England in early Autumn. Bright reds, orange and yellows and just a bit of green left.

More sock yarn eye candy:

This is Gina's hand dyed merino/tencel sock yarn in the Sea Fairy colorway. Isn't it gorgeous?

And, just so you don't think all I knit is socks, I'll leave you with just a bit of a baby sweater I started:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You made my (well, your) yarn look wonderful and shiny...yea! I do like the look of the magic version verses the first one you did. The baby sweater is looking ADORABLE!!!

11:29 AM  
Blogger Lora said...

the socks do look cool with that pattern!! And wow! A baby sweater,You do knit something other than socks! ;) All I've ever seen you knit in person was socks. :)

1:15 PM  
Blogger Lapdog Creations said...

Are you adapting the pea pod sweater to knit in the round? I can't wait to hear how it turns out - its in my "to do" list of projects! Are you using Debbie Bliss yarn?

1:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Nicole, I'm knitting it with a washable wool since I really don't like cotton, and he's going to be a winter baby. No, I'm not knitting it in the round, I'm using the circs to accommodate the number of stitches. You really should try the pattern, it's fun and impressive-looking, but not difficult. -J

1:57 PM  
Blogger yarnophiliac said...

WOW -- thiose socks are gorgeous! I can't really see a differecnce in the sock toes -- prob. need to see in person. Bravo to you for conquering the technique!

8:37 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home