Friday, January 19, 2007

The Ice Storm

I've always had a fascination with bunnies. It probably started as a little girl, when a rabbit was the only pet we didn't have. We had every animal under the sun. My family even had a pet squirrel, but that was before I was born when they lived in Texas. My in-laws have wild rabbits that live in their townhouse development, huge grey beasts that would give any dog a run for its money. When I’m visiting them in MD I like to stand on their deck and watch from a safe distance, but truth be told, those rabbits scare me a bit.

This morning, in the fresh snow, I discovered a set of rabbit prints in my driveway.

The boy and I were on our way across the street to catch the bus, so we only gave them a cursory glance. After he was off, I went back to investigate. They start on the bank of the little stream on the edge of my property, lope across the driveway and end in a small thicket of trees in front of my house. I wonder if there’s a rabbit warren under there.

So, remember on Monday I told you we were having an ice storm? Well Monday night the power went out right around 7 pm. The ice was causing power lines to go down all over the place. There were somewhere around 10,000 homes without power in my area. Monday night we toughed it out, and the power came back on around 10. It went back out sometime during the night and stayed out until, oh, around 9:30 on Wednesday night. We stayed at a local hotel on Tuesday and Wednesday night and the kids thought they were on vacation. Now we’re back home, safe and warm.

Icy tree


I didn’t manage much knitting, but I did start the Wavy scarf from Knitty. Blogless Amanda had knit one that looks so freaking amazing on her. After seeing it in person, I fell in love. She is currently knitting a second one, and Gina and I have both started our first.



She doesn’t look like much yet, but she’s growing.

The second along I’m going to be starting is Corazon, also from Knitty. I’m doing these with Lora, who’s probably already finished with her first mitten and halfway done with the second. The incredibly talented and beautiful Gina picked up some scrumptious RY Cashsoft baby DK for me when she and the gang went up to Webs this past weekend. Have I told you lately how much I love Gina? She’s awesome. Anyway, these colors are perfect and I can’t wait to cast on.

5 Comments:

Blogger Lapdog Creations said...

I'm jealous you got to "vacation" at the hotel, lol! We were without power from Monday afternoon straight thru to Wednesday night around 11pm... like 55+ hours... and with the 3 dogs, we were home in our own HE&&. :(

12:58 PM  
Blogger yarnophiliac said...

aww, honey! I wish i had known you were out of power (like a dip-sh*t I thought, "why didn't she post to the group?" DUH!) We would have gladly hosted you and your crew. We were mong the lucky ones.

3:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Wavy scarf is looking great!

There's not much worse than losing power for days! Glad to hear you're back home safe and sound (and warm).

3:43 PM  
Blogger Gina House said...

So glad that you're back and home safe. Must be good to be home : )

Happy that you liked the RYC colors....they're so soft!

Wavy Baby is coming along great! I love mine, too.

BTW, I love you, too, my darling....

4:09 PM  
Blogger Gigi said...

Ooooo those mittens will be gorgeous! I'm so glad to hear that you are back home. =-D

4:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home